Monday, February 10, 2014

Mother's daughter


"I felt you. You were a pea. Then a lemon. Then an eggplant. I followed advice. I read twelve books. I quit coffee. Could you tell I was scared?
I talked to you, sang to you... I wasn't ready. But then you were here. Ten toes. Eight pounds.
Love. Big fat love.
I held you. I fed you. I realized that I would spend my life doing things to make you happy -- and that that would make me happy. And then there are the times I want to give up. You've made me rethink my sanity. You've made me want to fall on my mother's feet and tell her that I get it.
But then you smile and you say my name -- and you grab my hand with those little fingers. We're growing together. We are seeing the world like it's new. I will open my heart and love will rain down all over you. You'll giggle, and I'll do it all over again.
And we will walk hand in hand. Until you let go. I made you, but you made me a mother."

                           -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment